Thursday, July 19, 2012

Protecting Your Family From Poisons

Imagine you are in the kitchen making dinner while your toddler plays with his toys on the floor. You turn around to stir the pasta sauce and when you look back at your child, you find him chewing on something. You run over to see what it is and find that he has chewed up most of a blood pressure pill that you thought had rolled under the fridge. What do you do?

This is just one of many scenarios that warrant a call to your local poison control center. America’s poison control centers offer 24/7 service from experts in poison exposure. If you suspect you or someone you know has been exposed to a poison, you should call the poison control number (1-800-222-1222).

Some of the most common household poisons include:
  • medicines 
  • cleaning products 
  • plants 
  • arts and crafts/office supplies 
  • vitamins 
  • pesticides 
  • car maintenance fluids 
  • batteries 

So, the question is, how do your protect your family from poisoning? Well the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC) has a few tips to help answer that question:
  • Keep all possible poisons (like those listed above) in high, hard to reach places where children cannot access them. 
  • Always store household chemicals and medicines in their original packaging. A Gatorade bottle full of antifreeze can look just like a bottle full of actual Gatorade. 
  • Never mix household cleaning products together. Doing this can cause chemical reactions that can result in dangerous and toxic fumes. 
  • Never take medicine in front of your children; kids love to imitate their parents. 
  • Call the poison control center immediately if you cannot find a button battery (those small round batteries that are common in watches and some toys). They can be easily swallowed and are potentially deadly if ingested. 
  • Install a carbon monoxide detector and check the batteries every six months. 
  • If you apply pesticide, make sure that all pets and children are removed from the area until it is safe to return. 
  • Always read the labels on medicines and never mix medicines and/or vitamins without first consulting with a physician or pharmacist. 
  • Post the poison control number (1-800-222-1222) on or near all home phones and program it into all cell phones. 

By: Shawn McNally

No comments:

Post a Comment